Wednesday, February 06, 2008

CoeXisT

This simple, yet profound diagram, has really gotten me thinking. Last weekend I went to the U23D show that is currently in select IMAX theaters. For 90 minutes you are glued to the 5 story tall screen just amazed at how "real" the concert felt. The concert was from their Vertigo tour and filmed in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The set list was fantastic; filled with all the current favourites and hits from U2's past.

About two thirds of the way through the show during "Sunday Bloody Sunday"Bono reaches into the crowd to grab a headband with the above symbol written in sharpie marker across the front. This is where the conversation starts for me...

-What is the message that is trying to be said here?

-What does a normal person understand when Bono says "Jesus, Jew, Muhammad, it's true...all sons of Abraham"?

-How do I as a Pastor dialogue through this seemingly religiously pluralistic comment?

Now in no way do I profess to be clairvoyant to know exactly where Bono and the rest of U2 align themselves spiritually/theologically, and though I own the "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2" book I admit I have yet to read it.

What I am wrestling with is how to properly communicate the truth of Bono's statement. At it's rawest form, Bono's "Jesus, Jew, Muhammad...all sons of Abraham" is true.

As we read in Genesis 13:16 "I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted."

Further in Genesis 16 we read of Abraham and his maidservant, Hagar, having a son named Ishmael, who is a prominent prophet in Islam.

In Genesis 17 we read of God establishing his covenant with Abraham and he and Sarah conceiving a son to be named Isaac. "I will establish my covenant with him [Isaac] as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him." (Gen. 17:19)

All three of these Abrahamic Religions claim Abraham as a patriarch of their faith. This is true. However I am unsure of where Bono is going on his mid-song rant. Is he saying that each of these three religions are equally true? Equally viable means of salvation? Equal methods of reaching God?

If so...then why would Jesus say:

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

For a normal person would they believe these words of Jesus as Truth? Even Jesus' followers were confused with his teachings...even regarding being descendants of Abraham:

John 8:31-41
"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no
permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you do what you have heard from your father. "

"Abraham is our father," they answered.
"If you were Abraham's children," said Jesus, "then you would do the things Abraham did. As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. You are doing the things your own father does."
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself.


Lastly, I in no way want to infer that I don't believe in loving my neighbour, seeing the beauty in other people, and understanding that hatred of others is the farthest thing from Jesus' teachings. But I do want to say that wherever Bono is going with his "CoeXisT" philosophy I encourage my brothers and sisters to approach this carefully, and with discernment.

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world" (1st John 4:1)

Well, now that I've thrown that out there, I look forward to hearing any of your thoughts on this...especially if you have been to the U2 show, or were at the Vertigo tour here in Vancouver. What is your read on this? Good? Bad? Neutral?

Blessings,

Ty

2 comments:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

hey Tyler,
i actually found myself at work today in the middle of a conversation about the same topic; not bono's "coexist", but the idea behind it: why can't everyone be right? interesting to hear the voices of people who haven't grown up with faith in God.
Back to your blog, and not to 'toot my own horn', but bono has bothered me for years (years) - people defend him more passionately and with more anger than they would/do Christ himself. I definitely find this "coexist" movement he's trying to start a very unsafe and volatile thing. Mostly because I know millions won't question bono or figure out for themselves that it really doesn't work that way....thanks for bringing this to our attention! ...wow...

Unknown said...

I'm new to your blog... I found it by typing in your name. I attend ERBF and was checking you out... pretty good blog! Anyway... I went to the U2 IMAX experience and loved it, but was baffled by this 'symbol' as well. I am glad to have read your concerns and thinking on it. Everyone can't be right. I have read Bono's Autobiography - A conversation with Michka Assayas. It actually convinced me of his saving faith - which I've always doubted. That doesn't mean that he's right in all his thinking. I would lean more toward him being a little off this with "coexist" thing. Then again, do we even know what he's trying to say? Maybe he's saying that Jesus is for all of us...? Bono is definitely an odd guy who runs with his emotion; hence the reason we love his music. I agree, tred lightly with this one. Pluralism and tolerance can lead to lukewarm faith; and we all know what Jesus will do with us if we are there! (Rev. 3:16).