Wednesday, September 21, 2005

MY RANT

Hear me out folks...

The other day I was flippin' thru the TV channels and stumbled accross a little promo moment about Switchfoot's new album "Nothing is Sound." I purcahsed this album right at 9:30am last Tuesday at HMV for $9.99 (since our Christian store was selling it for $12.79) and if you read one of my earliest blogs about Blessings Christian Marketplace then you'll understand why I didn't purchase it there!

Anyways, back on track. The program that the album was getting some promo on was Much Music's "Much On Demand" co-hosted by Matte Babel. During the show he was giving a brief synopsis of the album for the viewers. I cannot say verbatim what Matte said but the words that he did say have rung clear in my head for days...

"This new album by switchfoot is filled with rock infused lyrics that ring out with teenage angst...blah blah blah...then he concludes his synopsis with saying that this album (and the teenage-angst-lyrics) will have you hating your parents by the end of it."

In the words of "the Champ"...I loose it...!

I could not believe that this was the promo that Switchfoot was getting live on air at Much Music! Immediately I began to pray for those who go out to purchase this album that God will grab ahold of them and serious work miracles in their hearts through the lyrics. I have listened to the entire album and cannot find much if anything that would stir up hatred for ones parents. This kind of review just makes me wanna scream!

In an interview done for Christian Music Planet magazine: frontman Jon Foreman said this "We have always tried to make music that resonates with the church and the mainstream," Foreman says. "That is what Switchfoot is about."

I agree with Jon whole-heartidly...and I hope that those who are devoted fans of switchfoot will continue to support this great band by purcahsing their CD. I don't wanna run on and on and on with this rant so I'm gonna cut it off now.

Thanks for hearing me out:

Ty

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ty,
I also bought the cd the day it came out and am thoroughly dissapointed in it. I am (was?) a huge Switchfoot fan, and i love the music on this cd, but their lyrics and their entire image now i do not like. As their popularity and fame grows, their christian and Christ centered lyrics and image seem to fade...even on their website...any mention of God? of Jesus? in their new cd...in the lyrics? I believe the use the word "Lord" in one song...i just feel kinda let down by them, i get worried they will become one of those "rock bands" and forget how they started...we have a live in concert DVD of theirs...nothing about God, not once...i know this sounds like i am totally dissing them, and im not..i do really like switchfoot..i just feel a little let down?

-barclee

afterthoughtcomposer said...

wow really? Maybe he was a confused host...because I don't hear anything like that on that cd!
ps. "Shadow Proves the Sunshine" is such a good song

Anonymous said...

I dunno if Switchfoot was ever know for droppin' "Jesus" in their songs. I've been with them day-one and I don't recall "Jesus" ever being spoken on that album, but I can go back and check.

They do mention Jesus and quote the Bible on their website, just in their own subtle way. Instead of "Jesus" they say, "there was this Jewish guy who said..." (or something to that effect) and they do pull a reference out of Ecclesiastes. They also quote Bob Dylan (as you already would know) and also the Chrisitan apologetist Blaise Pascal.
Back to their first album: while Switchfoot has written some amazing songs totally about Christ, that's not the case with every song. Their first album has their only "love" song (Ben Hur) and other songs like Concrete Girl which were songs of hope but not directing about God, or the silly songs like Chem 6a with zero spiritual content. "Blues" has a great eschatological message. "Shadows" as mentioned has a sweet Christian message. "Stars" points to deity. All other songs - if void of spiritual content - still support a biblical worldview.

I encourage all fans of Switchfoot to read the inside-cover "from the editor" article in the latest CCM (Casting Crowns on the cover), which has a really interesting take on Switchfoot and the Christian music industry.

Blessings to all!
- Andrew