Friday, May 08, 2009

church


I posted this comment on my facebook site earlier in the day...
"What's the difference between saying your a Christian and acting like one?"

Then my good buddy Nate followed that up with what I think is an even better statement...

"
likely similar to going to church and [vs] being the Church..."

Apparently a few people clicked on the "like" button on facebook about this status. I guess that's a good thing. What I'd like more is that we all wouldn't simply "like" this quote but rather that we'd "live out" this quote.

I seem to wrestle with this whole concept more and more now about "going to church" vs "being the church". Throughout most of the mid 1900's people often "went to church." It was the socially accepted thing to do. To get dressed in your "Sunday Best" and to head off to the local church...then to go back home and resume your "non-Sunday Best-church" life for the next 6 days.

Things have changed since 1950-2000...less people are regularly going to church. While this statistic somewhat saddens me, what also can be seen from this, is that those who go to church do so because they're not solely go to church, they recognize that the way they live on Sunday's is NO DIFFERENT than the way they live the other 6 days of the week: they are being the church.

So what does it mean to "be the church"? The best example of what "being the church" is really all about is shown to us by the early church written about in the book of Acts.

"They devoted themselves to the apostle's teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and sings performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favour of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." (Acts 2:42-47)

They had no building, no worship centre, no gym, no youth room etc... but what they did was lived out what the church was supposed to be like...

...it was EVERYDAY FAITH. Hmmm...sound familiar?

Now do we do this still? Do we live out the good news of Jesus? Do we not only say we're a Christian but act like one too?

Somewhere early on in my faith journey I remember hearing this quote:

"just because you go to McDonald's, it doesn't make you a cheeseburger"

Enough Said.

-Ty

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Everyday faith sums it well also. Even though I have felt my life has exampled more being the church than attending church, in the recent months since taking a 'break' from attending a church it has, and is, causing me to realize how much I lack 'being' the church.

It is a journey, so I recognize I'll never reach the prize until I die, but I know for my self, the path of being the church and acting like a Christian isn't reflected every moment of each day.

The scripture you quote from Acts is sweet. I'm trying to see the balance of both being the Church and gathering corporately in a building. The corporate gathering for me, I think should be a 'waypoint', not a destination (which it has become in my years of attending).

No conclusions...but I was just saying to Kristie last night that I love to hear people's hearts for things similar to what we struggle and ask. So, Tyler, thanks for your status on Facebook to prompt your post!

I think it's bout time we hooked up again...

Nate
1 Tim 4:12