Wednesday, October 19, 2005

God & Starbucks

There are many things in this world that I love...and it appears that 2 of them are soon to "become one" so to speak. Nothing beats walking into the local starbucks on a cool fall morning, or during an evening snow walk in winter. That aroma of freshly brewed coffee warms your soul even prior to the first smooth sip. Though coffee may "warm my soul" nothing quite invigorates my life quite like that of my faith in God. As I aluded to in my title, it appears that God's going mainstream "a la" starbucks style.

In a news article from USA Today (read it here) Pastor Rick Warren, author of the book "Purpose Driven Life" submitted a quote for Starbuck's "The Way I See It" campaign that encouraged people from all walks of life and faith to submit a quote to appear on their cups. Pastor Warren's was one of the selected quotes and reads as follows:

"You are not an accident. Your parents may not have planned you, but God did. He wanted you alive and created you for a purpose. Focusing on yourself will never reveal your real purpose. You were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense. Only in God do we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance and our destiny."
- The Rev. Rick Warren for Starbucks


Starbucks does go on to issue a disclaimer saying the thoughts and opinions expressed by these people do not necessarily reflect the views of Starbucks. I am happy to see that the Christian faith is alive and kicking in todays post-Christian culture. Too often I see many Christians "shy away" from pop-culture, feeling that anything we try to do won't get noticed. The Purpose Driven campaign that our church participated in last year did wonders for so many people. I applaud Rick Warren for submitting his quote (as I sit here and wonder how many other Christians submitted one...) As Christians we cannot even assume that people who are our neighbours, co-workers, even friends know really who God is. I feel that we need to use common language that speaks to today's culture, and that will engage today's culture in dialogue. I don't see much room for "Thou, Thee & Thy" and other outdated wordings, but take it from Eugene H. Peterson's "The Message"

Romans 9:25-26
I'll call nobodies and make them somebodies;
I'll call the unloved and make them beloved.
In the place where they yelled out, "You're nobody!"
they're calling you "God's living children."

So I as muse over this news article this morning (sans coffee unfortunately) I look forward to seeing Rick's thought's on my next Venti Cafe Mocha, and pray that it's not simply coffee that gives you that "perk" of energy, but rather God giving you life to its fullest as he promises.

Blessings,

Ty



No comments: