Wednesday, October 26, 2005

iBelieve


In what seems to be a sad turn of events for Christendom, yet another person is attempting to cash in on the already uber saturated Christian "kitch" market. Last week I mused over Rick Warren's quote soon to be found on a Starbucks cup, and I was generally satisfied with Rick's passion to share God's purpose for people's lives en mass.

This week I stumbled accross this site promoting the new iBelieve. This cross-shaped plastic cap replaces the standard usb cap for you ipod Shuffle. This appears to be the latest installment in the ever growing line of Jesus paraphanelia. Now instead of just listening to your "Christian Music" you can wear the gaughty white cross around your neck! I know for many of my peers who lived out their teen years in the 1990's many of us fell slave to the W.W.J.D fad that marketed almost everything on the face of the earth. This trend seems to not be going away, but rather is escalating on a daily basis. I understand that people need to earn a living, but I question why it seems that so many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ want to make a quick buck by selling their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ JUNK. Wearing a W.W.J.D. bracelt doesn't make you a Christian, neither does wearing the iBelieve, and neither does you eating at McDonalds make you a hamburger! You get the point?

It's at these times when I see this mass-marketing of Christian "kitch"that I am reminded of words to an old classic hymn...

"...and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love...and they'll know we are Christians by our love..."

or maybe we should just all look at what God's Word has to say about this:

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1st Samuel 16:7 (NIV)

I don't know if I'm the only one out there who feels this strongly about the overwhelming amount of Jesus-Junk that's out there, but before you consider buying anything from a Christian retail store, check the motives of your heart...because that's what God truly cares about...

Blessings,

Ty


P.S. For those who may be skeptical of this site and may just brush it off as a hoax, this is the personal site for the guy from devoted1.com (he lives in Portland). Click Here:

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I don't think this is what Jesus meant when he said, "Pick up your cross and follow me."

So, just a general query to start up a debate: is intentionally making and marketing Christian kitch a sin? I'd enjoy hearing people's responses.

Toodles Ty.

- Andrew

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Not sure how long this has been in production, but Bill Maher did a fake commercial on his show a few weeks back where he marketed the iGod which was an iPod mini with the cross wings on it.

My question is, how is this any different from selling crosses to people? Gold plated, silver, whatever, those things can be expensive. Doesn't this just follow the line of our consumer culture and add the clock to the toaster per se?