Thursday, December 08, 2005

Debunking Christmas


So what is Christmas all about...really?

I'm not looking for that corny Sunday-School answer here, but what I am looking for is a deeper, more significant, true-to-the-Word, understanding of why we celebrate this thing called Christmas.

Part 1: Christmas & the Church

*Disclaimer: I love the church, not only because I am a Pastor, but I whole-heartidly feel that my life calling is to serve the church with all my heart, soul, and strength.

What truly breaks my heart as of late, is that numerous churches in the lower mainland are closing their doors on Christmas Day. How can this be? Call me "old-fashioned," call me "modern" call me "narrow minded" but just because Christmas Day happens to fall on a Sunday...means that we don't gather together to worship our God as a community? It's been 11 years since the last time Christmas Day fell on a Sunday, and maybe because of the cultural shift in values that is happening in today's churches...we've decided that it's too much of an inconvenience to have to get up Christmas morning, shower, change, and have to drive to church. This is bull. Sorry, to get a bit passiontae but I've been pondering the question lately...

Is Christmas about family?

Is it? I know it makes us all warm and mushy inside when we reminisce of our past Christmas mornings, spent with mom, dad, brothers & sisters infront of the tree...but is this Christmas? Something inside of me has to say NO. Christmas as we know it today, has only really been around for the past 200 years. Sadly, prior to 200 years ago much of the celebration at Christmas time happened for totally Pagan reasons. Only after Clement Clarke Moore's poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" in 1822, now commonly known as "T'was the Night Before Christmas" & Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol in 1834 did Christmas begin to evolve into today's Holiday.

Celebrating Advent:
I think that we need to look more closely at this practice of "the coming" of Christ. Advent was officially established by church leaders in the 6th century. Advent was originally meant to be a time when Christians reflected on the meaning of Christmas. Advent was essentially four weeks set aside to contemplate what the coming of Jesus meant not only to the world but to every individual's soul. When presented in the proper way, the way the early church intended, Advent also plants the spiritual seeds that grow into an understanding of the true reason for this special season: the birth of Jesus Christ. Here is where we need to camp out for a while and enjoy the splendor of the Advent Season.

... ... ... ...

Thankfully my church, and many churches in the lower mainland do celebrate Advent. Churches do recognize the importance of preparing our hearts, and getting that often needed slap accross the face to be reminded that Christmas is not about us. But why then are so many churches preparing to celebrate the coming of Jesus, through Advent, and then on the "day" that has been given for his birth...do we not gather to celebrate as a community? To be totally honest, I think we are a very lazy culture, and one who sees going to "church" as nothing more than a once-a-week thing. The early church in the book of Acts looked nothing like many of our churches today...something that at times wants me to see us go back to the days of deep-rooted community, sharing and fellowship.

I don't profess to know how to see resolve come about regarding cancelling our church services on Christmas Day, but I hope that maybe you, duing the rush of this Christmas Season, won't solely focus on gifts, stockings, and even all that warm-mushy family time--but that you would take a few minutes to ponder the greatest event our earth has ever experienced:

"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 (NIV)

So my challenge to all of you who are reading this is... Go to church on December 25th & celebrate the miracle of Jesus' birth as a community. I will be! Chances are it's only 1 hour out of your day, and if it were any-other-Sunday chances are you'd go. So what's the difference? REALLY?

***UPDATE*** Click here to read about American Mega-Churches who are also cancelling their Dec. 25th Sunday Services...


Blessings,

Ty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ty

Good of you to bend your thoughts towards those questions. It's good stuff. Thankfully our church IS holding a service on Christmas Day. I can't get past the irony of church's closing their doors for Christmas. Think about it people. Seriously.

I remember back in the day our family went to special Christmas Day services at our church. It was at a time when that was the norm, even if Christmas Day didn't land on a Sunday. It was a part of our Christmas tradition for a number of years and it DID revolve around the family because 1) our whole family went and 2) most of my extended family attended the same church. And the tradition/family-ness of Christmas went beyond just Dec 25th: everyone attended the Christmas Eve production on the 24th, joined in on the after-program hang-out time in the gymnasium, AND then went to my grandparent's place for more 'family-time' and gift openning. IT WAS AWESOME.

Now families often don't live as close together. They don't want the "hastle" of driving to church for an hour AND then driving to their family gathering. Often they attended different churches. I embrace the opportunity of joining with bro's and sis's of the faith Christmas Day - for they are my spiritual family and I am thankful for them and how they are always there for us 365 days of the year, just like my biological family.

Eh. Enough rambling for now. Merry Christmas man.
- A