Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Election & Hockey

I heard this on the Team 1040 this morning and I thought I would post it for all of my Canadian friends, who may need a bit of a "primer" on the Elections today!

The guys on Team 1040 were comparing the candidates to recent NHL Hockey teams. Here's howit all went down (this is a paraphrase and written to the best of my recollection):

Stephen Harper (Conservatives): Stephen is likely the closest to the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes. Their surprising Stanley Cup Win was a shock to many, and there hasn't been many significant achievements since that win...but they'll always say "we won the cup"!

Stephane Dion (Liberals): Stephane closely resembles the 2006 Vancouver Canucks. They were a team that had much promise and great things were expected from them. But nothing really materialized from that "promising" franchise...and we've all seen the fall out since.

Jack Layton (NDP): Jack is like the Dallas Starts. No specific year to make mention of...but rather they're a team that is always tough and will always show up for the game...but in the end they're not gonna win anything significant.

Elizabeth May (Green Party): May is like the Washington Capitals of 2008. For many years people forgot that Washington even had a professional hockey team. Then suddenly in late 2008 the Capitals surgged towards the Playoffs! This year Elizabeth made the Debate, and proved that after a change in leadership positive things began to happen!

I never heard anything about Gilles Duceppe, but I figure that you could compare him to the Quebec Nordiques... a team that has a filled with accomplishements, but except for those living in Quebec...most people have forgotten about them.

So I don't know if this helps you in your decision to vote today...but I sure had a laugh hearing this!

GO VOTE!

-Ty

1 comment:

tscarson said...

I heard the same from 1040 - GS seems pretty up to speed with the organic combination of politics/hockey. which I guess is pretty close to politics/religion. Too bad the Canucks won't match up well with the Detroit Machine or the Montreal Juggernaut. See you later...