Saturday, April 04, 2009

9 weeks...

Charity told me this morning that I racked up over $50 dollars in coffee purchases this last month at Tim Hortons! My only excuse was trying to win us the Toyota Venza in the RRROL UP THE RIM contest. Since I think I'm only 3/20 something I decided to grab a coffee at Starbucks today which cost me NOTHING since I had my gift card! (no that helps with the budget!)

I love you babe!

So I'm sitting here in Starbucks sipping on my Venti Vanilla Americano Misto, and realizing even more that in only 9 weeks I'm going to be a daddy. There have been thousands of thoughts that have gone through my head recently....so I decided that I should share some with you.

1) Strollers DO cost more than your car. This is an unavoidable fact made strikingly clearer by that recent McDonald's commercial. We purchased a Phil&Ted's Sport. (black & charcoal colour)

2) If you think the expenses stop at the stroller you are sorely mistaken! Babies aren't cheap (even while they're still in the womb).

3) Read Books! Since babies apparently don't come with an owners manual, invest in some quality books. Here are a few that I have found helpful. (titles hyperlink to Amazon.com)

-"Be Prepared" This book is THE BOOK for soon-to-be-dad's who have NO CLUE what they are getting into. Thanks Matt for sending me a copy!

- "Rookie Dad" This book reads more like a journal of a first-time dad. Written by David Jacobsen while he was a student at Vancouver's Regent College.

- "Becoming a Dad" Written by Stephen James & David Thomas--ok...I haven't read this one yet. It's sitting on my night-stand waiting in line to be read...soon...I keep saying to myself!

There are many more...too many in fact. Just find ones that you gravitate towards. Read Amazon's free chapter preview available on their site....and figure out if it's your style. Just whatever you do...READ!

4) Pray! I was approached by a man in my church the day he found out Charity and I were expecting and said "the most important thing you can do before this baby is born is pray for it." Those words were such an encouragement to me! So I pray for my un-born baby...knowing that God is already active in it's precious life...

Psalm 139:13-14 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well"

5) Love your wife: She is obviously "growing" but even moreso she is "growing in beauty". I will admit I am jealous of what my wife get's to experience with that baby inside of her. But what's most important is to love her. Spend time together, go on dates (before it costs you for a baby-sitter), and enjoy peace & quiet--apparently that dissapears once baby arrives!

6) Recognize that EVERYONE thinks they have some 6th-sense in discerning if you're having a boy or girl (we aren't going to find out the sex). And recognize that EVERYONE will expect you to listen to their scientifically proven methodology of figuring this out!

7) There aren't words to express the joy I am feeling for becoming a daddy! 9 weeks until my life is forever changed. I can't wait!

That's enough for now...I expect this blog to take on a somewhat different flavour once this child arrives into the world. But until then...

-Ty


3 comments:

Matthew g Prior said...

Be Prepared is such a good book! I'm glad you liked it. Have you finished it?

afterthoughtcomposer said...

:)

9 weeks!? that's IT!? wow, that went so fast...I feel like I just got sucked through a time warp!

although I'm sure it's felt different for the both of you :) I'm excited for the new "blog flavor"; it's sure to be a sweet one!

can't wait to hear the news,
ashley

Cheryl said...

What I would give to see the look on your face when that baby of yours is born....might just be priceless ;)