Wednesday, May 25, 2005

G.O.L.F.

Does it Stand for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"?

Did the word "golf" originate as an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden"? That's a common old wives' tale. Or, in this case, more likely an old husband's tale. No, "golf" is not an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." If you've ever heard that, forget it immediately. Better yet, find the person who told you and let them know it's not true. Like most modern words, the word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots. The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf." By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged. http://golf.about.com/b/a/028518.htm


Now that you've read something almost completely useless...I figured this would be a great time to talk about a sport that I absolutely love. So much infact that my parents have recently purachsed for me 5 private golf lessons with a CPGA pro at Redwoods in Langley--see above picture or go to their site: (http://www.redwoods-golf.com/) Here's hoping that I can improve my swing, and acheive better control and distance. So for the next 5 weeks I'll be learning how much I suck, and how much better I need to become. If anyone reading this wants to go wack some balls at the Driving Range or do a round of 9/18 just let me know! I'm game!

Fore!

Ty

No comments: