Tuesday, October 03, 2006

BOOK REVIEW


I've never posted a book review on here before, so after reading this entire book yesterday in one sitting while sipping on an extra hot-non fat-no whip-white chocloate mocha I figured I would post my thoughts about it.

If you've never heard of Joel Kilpatrick before, chances are you aren't a frequent visitor to his site: LarkNews.com. This online news site is 100% satire, and also 100% hillarious. Poking fun at many quirks and habits of evangelicals. Check it out to get a better understanding of where this book is coming from.

Immediately from opening the first page I was laughing. Though, it's awkward when you're sitting in a Starbucks and all of a sudden you find yourself chuckling to yourself. I maybe got a few confused looks, but otherwise people just let me be.

*DISCLAIMER*
In no way, is Kilpatrick trying to undermine, or strip evangelicalism of all its relevance and importance. Rather, Kilpatrick is--through the use of satire--trying to open our eyes to how odd evangeliscals look to a non-believer...when most of the time, we Christians think everyone else out there is "wierd".

Kilpatrick uses the chapters to formulate a "game plan" for anyone who may not be evangelical to follow simple methods of talk, dress, attitude that would allow them to "fit in" into any evangelical work space, church service, small group Bible study etc... Throughout the book Kilpatrick inserts various old news clippings from LarkNews.com. They offer a hillarious departure from the flow of the book...and would be great to use for various ice breakers for a youth event. My ultimate favourite is found on page 33. I'm not going to say what it is, you'll just have to go borrow/buy the book to find out.

All in all, this book doesn't require much deep thought. It's really meant as just a simple, light-hearted read when you've just got a few hours to kill. I read the whole thing cover to cover in just under 2 hours. I don't know if it's really worth paying the $15-20 bucks, but if you want to borrow it from me...I'd love to lend it out.

Maybe I'll do this again...

Ty


1 comment:

Greg Drummond said...

Looks interesting Tyler. I just ordered the book the Post-Evangelical. I wonder how similar and different they are. If you want to help people find it cheaper check out FetchBook.info